Dave Raymond's American History
Dave Raymond's American History | Trailer
by Dave Raymond
In my opinion, this course offers an excellent balance of interesting DVD lectures, serious reading, and challenging writing coupled with worthwhile portfolio and project work, all presented from within a Christian worldview. – Cathy Duffy
Dave uses a combination of lectures and readings structured for a 5-day school week with daily tasks, weekly exams, and projects, as well as a year-long portfolio.
American History is intended to cover a full school year. It consists of 26 lessons plus 4 projects. Each lesson includes five approximately 10-minute lectures (for an hour of teaching per lesson), daily tasks, readings, weekly exams, and more. A year-long journal is also a part of the class. This american history homeschool curriculum also utilizes a Student Reader (included in PDF format with the DVD) with over 100 pages of original texts and writings from history.
Dave Raymond lives in Franklin, Tennessee with his wife and 5 children where he has taught in the humanities for the past 10 years. He teaches the disciplines of history, literature, composition, civics, economics, and Latin through Quiller Tutorials, Franklin Classical School, and Foundations Christian Academy.
AT A GLANCE
(Download coming soon)
LESSONS:26 Lessons (13 per semester)
INCLUDES:video lessons, Student Reader, and Teacher's Guide
CREDITS:1 HS History Credit (Parts 1 and 2)
LIST OF LESSONS
American History – Parts 1 and 2 are intended to cover one year. They consist of 26 total lessons plus 4 projects. Each of the American History lessons includes five approximately 10-minute lectures (for an hour of teaching per lesson), daily tasks, readings, weekly exams, and more. A year-long journal is also a part of the class.
American History – Parts 1 & 2 together are worth one high school credit in history.
2. The Banner of the Sun: Meso-America
3. Brave New World: The Early Explorers
4. The Colossus of Empire: The Colonies
5. Stability and Change: The Reformational Colonies
6. A City Upon a Hill: The Puritans
7. A Foreign War at Home: Wars of Control
8. Grace, the Founder of Liberty: The Great Awakening
9. Fathers of Independence: Adams, Franklin, Witherspoon, and Henry
10. Liberty or Death: The Declaration of Independence
11. Awesome Providence I: The War of Independence
12. Awesome Providence II: The War of Independence
13. A More Perfect Union: The Constitution
14. Federal Headship: George Washington
15. How Good and Pleasant It Is: Adams and Jefferson
16. Manifest Destiny: Settlers, Explorers, and War
17. Word and Deed: JQ Adams and Andrew Jackson
18. The Original United Nations: The Expansion of the Early US
19. Idols of Mercy: Revival, Counterfeits, and Art
20. A House Divided I: The Age of Compromise and Divided Cultures
21. A House Divided II: Lincoln and Secession
22. The Second War for Independence: The War Between the States
23. Brother Against Brother: The War Between the States
24. The Lost Cause: Reconstruction
25. A New Normal: The West, Immigration, and Robber Barons
26. Theology as Biography: Theodore Roosevelt and Booker T. Washington
SAMPLE AMERICAN HISTORY LESSONS
Dave Raymond’s American History is an engaging and comprehensive class with a number of elements. We’ve included complete sample American History lessons as well as sections from the Student Reader and Teacher’s Guide in PDF format. The Teacher’s Guide explains how everything works together and includes a Scope and Sequence.
Lesson 3.1 – The Early Explorers
We charge a flat shipping rate of $5 for US History DVDs. No additional charge when ordering Part I and II together.
INTERNATINAL SHIPPING: In an effort to encourage homeschoolers abroad, we offer the same flat shipping rate of $5 per order for our international customers!