PURPOSE & PRACTICE
– One semester elective art class
– The students will be introduced to the basics of color. Then during the first quarter, we will work with acrylic paints, discovering techniques that work well. During the second quarter we will use the skills learned from acrylics to apply to oil painting, but also discovering the unique aspects, tools, and best techniques for painting with oils.objects and masters artists’ works.
– The students will consider:
- What biblical principles can be used to evaluate/justify/create good art
- What design elements are needed and evident in a good painting
- What qualifies a painter as a “master” and a painting as a “masterpiece”
– The students will choose two artist’s work* per quarter to copy in acrylics/oils. Emphasis for success in these works will be on subtlety and structure observed and rendered, not so much on every detail in the work. The students will also have the opportunity to do a painting from a subject of their choosing.
– Artists’ work to be considered and copied must be of a similar quality to the works of the following:
Leonardo Da Vinci
Obtaining the painting materials (and associated costs) will be the student’s responsibility. Some of these items can be expensive if you get the best brands, so it’s ok to get the least expensive ones. I recommend checking Dick Blick or Amazon. Blick will have a wider and better variety, but Amazon will likely be cheaper:
- A set of six colors of acrylics (the smallest size of tubes are fine for starting out). Example.
- A set of six colors of oils (again, the smallest size of tubes are fine for starting out). Example.
- A set of white synthetic brushes (usually a set of 6 sizes) for acrylics and oils (they can be used for both) – I like the fairly inexpensive Artists Loft brand. (example included in acrylic set above)
- A pad of disposable palettes. (Amazon has these – 9 X 12 is fine)
- 2 palette knives – small and large, or a set (they aren’t expensive). Also included in acrylic set above.
- A quart of Gamsol mineral spirits (for cleaning brushes). Example.
- At least four canvases of about 12 X 16 sizes. (The sizes can vary – just don’t go too much bigger or smaller.) These range in quality – I prefer the Gallery Wrapped to the back stapled, but again, don’t spend a lot on these. Example.
- A cheap but nice item is a plastic, round brush holder. These are cheap but very helpful. Example.