Welcome to the 2018/2019 Great Books Challenge for Parents!
Classical homeschoolers love Old Western Culture because they see their children coming to the dinner table full of stories, and thirsty for knowledge and wisdom. Make 2018/2019 the year classical learning comes alive in your home, and earn free curriculum in the process!
Watch the video
Register for the Great Books Challenge for Parents. (You will need to own the unit of OWC you chose for the challenge.)
2. Read and Watch!
Enjoy reading the Great Books from the unit you chose, and watching the lectures from Old Western Culture!
3. Get Free Unit [Completion now closed]
Did you complete the challenge? CONGRATULATIONS! Fill out this form, and the unit of your choice will be on the way!
More about the Challenge
“Why are you giving away free curriculum?”
We are convinced that parents who use Old Western Culture will LOVE it. And when a parent loves a curriculum, they tell their friends. And word-of-mouth is the BEST way to let people know about this curriculum. We’re spending most of our time making this the best literature curriculum available, and we need help spreading the word. So help us by USING it, and telling your friends!
“Are you REALLY going to live-stream a read-aloud of the Iliad at the end?!”
Yes! At least that’s the plan. We will record each book, one-by-one, throughout the year, stitch them all together in one video we estimate will be 18+ hours long, and live-stream it on August 1st, 2019 on Roman Roads FB. We would love for some of the books to be read by participants in this Challenge! If you have access to quality (or at least decent) audio recording, send a sample recording to GreatBooksChallenge@romanroadsmedia.com to be considered as a reader of one book of the Iliad.
“I already own all of Old Western Culture, or I want to take advantage of the “CiRCE Discount” during your sale!”
You are a Great Books Warrior, or at least on the way! If you own all four years of Old Western Culture or considering the CiRCE Discount, then if you complete the Challenge we will send you any two Old Western Culture Readers of your choice!
- Who is this for? Any parent! That counts expecting parents to grandparents, to great-grandparents.
- What must I complete? You must register which unit you have chosen to complete, and do the assigned reading of that unit, and watch the 12 lectures associated with it. You do not need to complete written workbook assignments or exams.
- What materials do I need to complete the challenge? You will need the unit of Old Western Culture you have chosen. You may use your own copy/edition of the associated great books, or purchase one of our Readers (where available).
- Is there a deadline? Yes! The deadline for this challenge is August 1st, 2019. It will culminate in a reading aloud (streamed online) of the entire Iliad by 24 different readers.
- “What if I already read the associated great books? Does that count?” Part of what places a book in the canon of the “Great Books” is that it is worth reading and re-reading many times. For this challenge, you must read the book and watch the associated lectures from the unit you chose between August 1st, 2018 and August 1st, 2019.
Testimonials from Previous Challenges
I’m including a few comments from parents who finished previous Great Books Challenge for Parents (which was focused on The Aeneid).