$24.00 – $112.00
A new bundled product, featuring Greeks: The Histories, and Romans: The Historians. Click on each link to learn more about the indivudal unit. Together they form an overview of the historians of classical antiquity! These two units make up 1 High School history credit. Join Wesley Callihan in this video course and experience his contagious enthusiasm for learning as he draws from decades of teaching experience by summarizing, expositing, and drawing connections as he guides you through the Great Books!
This course is for High School age students, and is loved by adults as well.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THIS BUNDLE?
When you purchase the Old Western Culture History Bundle you receive the DVD set and access to the online streaming portal for both courses.
Accompanying materials included for EACH course:
– A Student Workbook and Answer Key in PDF format (optional physical version available).
– A “Guide to the Art” booklet (24 page booklet found inside the DVD case).
– An A and B exam with teacher guide and answer key.
– All required texts in eText (PDF and Kindle edition). Physical books recommended for the pleasure of the reader.
The workbook gives the student questions to answer for every reading assignment and lecture, discussion questions to think about, and a host of further resources for the student that wants to go further (or study for a paper!). The Answer Key at the back of the textbook will give the recommended answer to all the essay questions. We encourage students to answer the questions on their own before referencing the Answer Key.
LECTURE LIST FOR THE HISTORIES:
Lecture 1 – Overview of Greek History
Lecture 2 – Herodotus 1: Introduction and Croesus
Lecture 3 – Herodotus 2: Stories of Egypt and the other nations
Lecture 4 – Herodotus 3: The Beginning of the Persian Wars and the Battle of Marathon
Lecture 5 – Herodotus 4: The Battle of Thermopylae
Lecture 6 – Herodotus 5: The Battle of Salamis, and the End of the Persian Wars
Lecture 7 – Thucydides 1: Introduction, Thucydides’ Philosophy of History, and the Beginning of the Peloponnesian War
Lecture 8 – Thucydides 2: The Early Years, Pericles, and the Great Plague
Lecture 9 – Thucydides 3: Mytiline, Exile, Revolution, and Melos
Lecture 10 – Thucydides 4: The Sicilian Campaign, and the Downfall of Athens
Lecture 11 – Xenophon: The March of the Ten Thousand
Lecture 12 – The Lessons of Greek History
LECTURE LIST FOR THE HISTORIANS:
Average lesson length: 30-40 min
1. Livy I: Philosophy of history and the monarchy
2. Livy II: Beginning and Heroes of the Republic
3. Livy III: Threats to the Republic
4. Tacitus I: Philosophy of history and Tiberius
5. Tacitus II:Claudius
6. Tacitus III:Nero
7. Sallust: The Jugurthine War and the The Conspiracy of Catiline: The Republic in Decay
8. Julius Caesar: The Gallic wars
9. Plutarch’s Lives I: Demosthenes and Cicero
10. Plutarch’s Lives II: Alexander and Caesar
11. Cicero: Against Verres and Against Antony; On Duties
12. Lessons from Roman History